When you run an online business, you face many important questions. They often involve fundamental and exciting decisions such as:
- What products will you offer?
- What should your brand look like?
- How should you design your customer journey?
- Which e-commerce platform is right for you?
The question if and when you should outsource your logistics to an external third-party logistics ( 3PL ) service provider is one you might ask yourself late in your business cycle.
Very often, we see founders investing a lot of intense thought to smallest aspects of their branding and to their products, while giving little consideration to the operational issues of product logistics.
The following questions are hardly relevant for most self-employed people in the initial planning process, as they do not seem particularly important or interesting:
- What packaging should your product have? What are the sustainable options in this regard?
- What impression do you want to give your customers when they open your package? Which values do you want to share?
- Do you want your customers to get their products as soon as possible?
E-commerce fulfillment starts, at the latest, when a customer‘s order comes into your online shop and ends, at the earliest, when your package arrives at the doorstep of your customer. Every e-commerce founder eventually must choose whether to rely on in-house logistics (self-fulfillment) in the long term or to outsource to an external logistics service provider.
What Are the Advantages of Outsourcing to a 3PL service provider?
Outsourcing logistic services to an external 3PL service provider, such as MOODJA , can include the following services:
- Outsource warehousing: You use our warehouse just outside Berlin and have much less stress thanks to our state-of-the-art warehouse logistics. This includes the use of our specialized teams, our dedicated storage facilities, and our user-friendly software.
- Outsource commissioning: As soon as an item is ordered in your online shop, our software logs the order and we initiate the packaging process for you.
- Outsource packaging: We pack your goods for you. We are happy to take your special wishes into consideration and to add custom labels to your packages or to combine different goods (product ‘kitting’) into one bundle.
- Outsource shipping: After your order has been professionally packed, we also take care of the shipping for you. Through our software, you always have an overview of where your package is.
- Outsource returns management: If one of your customers is dissatisfied with an order, we will gladly handle the logistics of returning the package.
Why Outsourcing Is Relevant for Companies Large and Small
- Small companies: Fresh founders usually use any space they have to store their goods. Often living rooms, garages, cellars or relatives’ unused plots of land have to serve as storage facilities for the first deliveries. Usually, a single person is responsible for the company’s entire logistical infrastructure. This one person gathers the goods, packs them, addresses the packages to the customers, takes the packages to the post office, and deals with customer complaints or special requests.
- Large companies: Established companies with many monthly orders often rent their own warehouse, have in-house logistics staff, and work closely with forwarding agents to ship their goods.
Reasons to Outsource to a 3PL Service Provider
Whether you run a large company or a startup, MOODJA knows the problems and needs of companies that want to grow in the fashion and lifestyle branche.
What are the reasons for outsourcing logistics to a 3PL service provider?
You no longer need your own warehouse, which means that the goods are no longer stored in the company’s own premises
Costs for packaging material, forklifts or logistics staff can now be spared. In case of short-term order peaks, a fulfillment provider can help manage the additional workload and can withstand the wildest market dynamics.
You don’t have to become an expert in packaging and postage
What sounds simple at first quickly turns out to be complex and difficult in day-to-day operation. How do you pack a parcel in the most compact way? Which packaging material is best suited for the product? How can you incorporate sustainable aspects in the final links of your supply chain? What is the most cost-efficient way to ship parcels within Europe?
It’s really not easy to get into the particulars of shipping. If you or your team fail to determine the right packaging choices quickly and inexpensively, a 3PL service provider is exactly what you need. With all the intricate administrative aspects of your own fulfillment and shipping operations, processes that were initially thought to be simple can quickly become overwhelming.
When order volumes increase dramatically in the short term, you should consider outsourcing your logistics to a 3PL service provider. We have experience shipping large volumes of orders on a daily basis and know the best practices for handling peak order volumes quickly and professionally.
Save valuable time for tasks that really drive your business and are fun
Your personal time is your company’s most valuable resource. We see time and time again that far too many self-employed people want to retain complete control over every process in their business.
But if you’re starting an e-commerce business, that also means you have a seemingly endless number of tasks ahead of you. If you can outsource administrative tasks to save time and energy, then you should definitely try it. If you spend most of your free capacity worrying about the fulfillment of your products, then you are wasting time that you should be investing in growing your customer base, producing new products, or marketing your existing products.
We are the experts in the field of fulfillment – trust us and let us help you get back to the essentials of your business!
Outsourcing to a logistics provider can lower your costs
Self-fulfillment seems like a cheap – and often free – alternative to a 3PL service provider for most founders. However, once you start looking at your opportunity costs, you’ll quickly realize that fulfilling purchase orders is not the best-value use of your time. As a business leader, you should only focus on the tasks that provide you with the highest value per hour.
This is the only way you will be able to run your company long-term. As your business grows, you won’t have to worry about the logistics challenges that arise. Let us help you really move your business forward! As a fulfillment service provider, we like to take care of warehouse space optimization, equipment purchases, warehouse management software, logistics employee training, or liability insurance in case of merchandise fire.
These issues should be our problem, not yours. When you work with us, you can also take advantage of our immense partner network. We and our partners will help you work faster and cheaper.
Rapid company growth is not a problem anymore
As your business grows, it can become difficult to keep up with an unprecedented volume of orders. The more orders come in, the harder it is to deliver them.
Many growing e-commerce businesses will reach a point where they have so many orders that they outgrow their in-house fulfillment.
A 3PL service provider is prepared to seamlessly grow with you in the most efficient way possible. We’ll help you overcome any growing pains and scale faster than you ever could on your own. We eliminate manual steps by automating the entire fulfillment workflow.
Through standardized processes and integration with the other systems you already use, we provide real-time insights into what’s happening. These data can be immensely useful for quantitative decision support, driving sustainable revenue growth and turning previous guesswork into intelligent forecasting. Ultimately, this translates into the faster modernization of your operations.
3PL Disadvantages: Who Should Rather Keep It In-House?
When might it be worthwhile to keep fulfillment in-house?
You absolutely want total control over every step of the fulfillment process
It doesn’t matter if you might have a problem with handing off responsibility or just want your own employees to handle everything.
By handling logistics in-house, you can maintain complete control. If you sell particularly fragile or handmade items, for instance, this can be very helpful. Additionally, if you are a logistics expert or have already built a complex supply chain, outsourcing logistics services may not be relevant for you.
Your products have special requirements or are all unique
Highly flammable, perishable, or hazardous products are often not suitable for every 3PL service provider. Also, if you manufacture highly customized products where each customer receives a unique product, in-house logistics might be more profitable for you. Varying product sizes make calculating standard logistics fees especially difficult and time-consuming.
Your sales volume is very low
If your current sales volume is not going through the roof and you are trying to minimize costs, an in-house solution is recommendable. At least for very small companies who are after short-term cash flow optimization.
The money you save should first be used to increase sales. At least until the growing sales allow room for business decisions again.
Logistics Outsourcing Summary
Whether you’re preparing to launch a promising product or are on the path to e-commerce growth, at some point you’ll have to ask yourself how you want to handle your order fulfillment.
The best solution for your business will always depend on several factors. In-house fulfillment, which was worthwhile early on, can quickly reach its limits due to growth. By thoroughly weighing the pros and cons of logistics outsourcing, you will ultimately be able to make an informed decision.
If you are unsure whether fulfillment makes sense for your business, don’t hesitate to contact us!